Thursday, July 25, 2013

DIY Striped Pencil Skirt ♡

         
Hello lovelies!

What are you guys up to?
As you know I've been DIYing a bunch of clothing lately~
I literally JUST finished making this super sexy pencil skirt that you're about to learn how to make hehe 





~Heres what you need~



Stretchy Striped Fabric! Any stretchy fabric will do: lycra, cotton etc. (I had 1/2 a yard but I didn't use all)
Straight Pins (LOTS!)
Needle and matching colour thread 
Scissors or cutters
Elastic (optional  if your fabric is not super stretchy)
Measuring tape or ruler
Pencil or chalk for marking
Tacky Glue


Step 1: Measure


 Measure your waist or hips or wherever you want your skirt to sit.
This will determine how much fabric you need width wise. 
Now figure out how long you wanted your skirt to fall. Take this number and subtract 4.5" (this subtraction is for the waistband).
I wanted my skirt to be high waisted but not too short or long so I went with 13".
My final measurement was 26"x13".

Step 2: Cut


Now that you have your width and length go ahead and cut with a cutter or scissors. 
I wanted the stripes on my skirt to go down vertically and my fabric was only 18 inches wide with the stripes going horizontally. To solve this I cut out 2 strips, 18"x13" and cut off the remaining 10 inches.

PLEASE SKIP STEP 3 if you have enough fabric length and width wise you can cut your fabric as ONE. Because my fabric was not long enough I had to cut twice. If any of you run into this problem the continue on~

Step 3: Cut and Sew


Here are my 2 pieces of vertical stripes.




With both pieces of fabric my total width came up to 36" and I only needed 26" so I cut off 10" from one piece.

 I then pinned the fabrics (right side facing) together and sewed them to create the one big 26" x 16" fabric.

Step 4: Waist Band


Now time for the waistband! 
Cut out: width" (same as the fabric you previously cut) x 4.5".
In my photo I have 3 strips because my fabric was not the right length (again another problem because I wanted my waistband to have the stripes going horizontally)  so I did the same thing I did in step 2. 

If you don't have to worry about the size of your fabric continue to cut out (width") x 4.5" of your fabric and SKIP step 4!

Step 4: Waistband Cont'd


Now that you have all your pieces cut for the right width, go ahead and pin each piece RIGHT SIDES onto one another. They should look like this when you unfold them. (I'm sorry I should've taken a photo with the pins on the top, if you don't understand what I mean about the rights sides then please let me know!)

Once your piece are all pinned together, go ahead and do a straight stitch so that each piece is joined. I like to run a zig-zag stitch on the seam just to make sure the fabrics won't rip apart.


Step 5: Waistband cont'd

Once you have the right size of your waist band cut out, fold it in half and pin the sides shut. 
Sew the sides shut with a straight stitch but  DO NOT sew the short ends shut! You need these ends open so you can turn the waist band inside out.


When you finish sewing the longer sides shut, it should look like the photo above.


Take one end of the waist band and turn it inside out. The trick is to stick a safety pin on one end and push it inside till it comes out the other end. Once I had everything right sides facing out, I readjusted it so that the seams of the waist band were in the middle of the back part.

Step 6: Attach and sew


Now that your waistband is looking FAB, pin it on the right side of the bottom fabric. 
Remember RIGHT SIDES facing together! (The right side of my waist band was the side without the seam).

Once everything is pinned in place, go ahead and sew using a straight stitch then a zig-zag stitch on the outer edge.

Voila! The waist band and bottom fabric have now become best friends!

Optional: If your fabric is not so stretchy, place an elastic ( width of your fabric + 1")  inside the waistband. How to get the elastic inside the waistband? Just use a safety pin on one end of the elastic and feed it through the waist band. Pin the ends in place so that 0.5" of the elastic sticks out from both ends of the waistband.

Step 6: Sew End Shut


If you've noticed the lighting change, it's because I've been working on this skirt ALL DAY!

Okay so now this step is really simple. 
FOLD the skirt in half so that the RIGHT SIDES are facing each other and pin in place.
 Run a straight stitch down the seam and a zig-zag on the outer edges.
 (You see where those straight pins are? Pretend those are the straight stitches, the zig-zag stitch will go to the right of those stitches).

Once you have your baby all stitched up, flip her inside out and try her on!
If  your skirt looks fab and fits like a glove then skip step 7. 

Step 7: Sew to Alter


If you find that the skirt was too loose at the waistband, use a ruler and a pencil to draw out a diagonal line like so. (I'm sorry the lighting is bad, its hard to see the pencil marks.)
Basically I drew the line from where the ruler is. I measured one inch from one corner and had it end diagonally half way on the skirt. 
I repeated this on the other side by folding the skirt and tracing out the same exact line.

Using a straight stitch, sew across the marked line.
 Once you've finished sewing both sides, flip the skirt to the ride sides and try it on. 
If it is still too loose, place the top of the ruler closer to the middle of the waistband, draw a line and sew.
If it is now too tight, place the ruler closer to the end of the waistband and draw a new line. Remove the old stitch with a seam ripper or craft knife. Sew on the new line.

Use a zig-zag stitch to secure the seams once the skirt fits snugly!


When you're happy with the skirt, go ahead and cut the remaining fabric off!
 *snip snip*

Step 8: Glue/Sew


Fold the hem of the skirt 1" up so that the right side is up. 
I'm using tacky glue to keep them in place but you can do a blind hem stitch to secure it in place.
 The reason why I chose Aleene's tacky glue is because the glue doesn't show on the other side and is a better alternative if you don't have a serger.


Just dab some glue into the fold and press down!



Yaaay! Go ahead and glue down those seams too while you're at it.
I used needle and thread to keep the seams on the waistband down since the glue wasn't tacky enough to hold it in place.


Step 9: Flip


Once the glue has dried (it didn't take long) just flip your skirt inside out so that the right sides are facing up and voila~!
(◕ヮ◕)

Your pencil skirt is ready to wear!

Here are some striped pencil skirts you can purchase from retailers if you don't have the time to make one: http://www.polyvore.com/black_and_white_striped_pencil_skirt/shop?query=black+and+white+striped+pencil+skirt

I spent a total of $9 on half a yard on the fabric so guess what? I still have some fabric left over! It cost me less than $9 to make this baby! 

Hope you enjoyed this DIY, if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Stay crafty,

Livy 



Click here to see this skirt on me!







1 comment:

  1. Such a nice DIY!
    I'll definitely do it in the future:)

    Your blog is lovely and I follow you via bloglovin if you want take a look at my blog!
    http://relocatewonderland.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete